Monday, November 11, 2013

Potato, Patata

Sliced potatoes

A few weeks ago, I posted the potatoes that came from the CSA and I wondered about what to make with them that wasn't mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes. When I asked my husband if he had any ideas, he seemed to know exactly what we should make - tortilla de patata. My husband studied abroad in Spain, in a small town outside of Madrid called Alcalá, and tortilla de patata aka tortilla española aka Spanish omelettes are a popular dish in Spain. It consists of eggs, potatoes, and onions - kind of like scrambled eggs and hash browns that you can enjoy all at once!


The finished product - delicious!
Tortilla de patata takes a bit of work - you need to thinly slice a lot of potatoes and onions, which is not such an easy feat. This must be the third time since I've been blogging that I've needed a mandolin. Maybe it's time to finally purchase one! This dish also takes a bit of fancy flipping - halfway through cooking, you need to transfer the tortilla onto a plate then flip it upside down back into the pan so that it can finish cooking. Easier said than done, that is for sure!

Profile shot - check out those layers!
Tortilla de patata is obviously a great breakfast, but it also is good for lunch alongside a salad or bowl of soup. It would also make a great dish for a brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment