Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Caviar of the South


The first time I had pimento cheese was at the end of my first internship for graduate school. My supervisor and the other counselors arranged a surprise potluck lunch for me and my classmate/co-intern who had worked at the school for the past semester. All the counselors brought different foods - turkey wraps, arroz con pollo, salad, and pimento cheese. I had never had or even heard of pimento cheese at this point in my life, and to be honest, it grossed me out. However, I wanted to be polite (and maybe get a good letter of recommendation?), so I dug in to the spread. Surprisingly, the cheese wasn't as bad as I had expected and was actually rather tasty. When pimiento (aka pimento) peppers appeared at the market, I knew exactly what to do with them.

Pimiento peppers are some of the mildest peppers around. You may recognize them as the little red dots inside green olives. However, the most popular use for pimiento peppers is pimento cheese spread. The possibilities for the spread are endless - I found recipes for pimento cheese mac n' cheese, grilled cheese, sandwich spread, and many others that all required to first have some pimento cheese already made. In an attempt to keep things simple, I just ate mine with crackers!

This dip is obviously not the most healthy appetizer, so I would only make it again for a party. As tasty as it is, it can't be consumed by only one or two people!

No comments:

Post a Comment