Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Swear I'm Not Lying...


I do really hate tomatoes! Well, just raw ones. Considering this is my second post dedicated to tomatoes, it may seem like I like them...but I promise that I don't. I just really like homemade tomato sauce with my pasta. The last time I made homemade tomato sauce from scratch was in 10th grade, in my high school cooking class. Yes, we had cooking as an elective in high school. It was amazing. I've made tomato sauce many times since, but I've always used cans of whole peeled tomatoes.

Homemade Tomato Sauce


Ingredients:
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • at least 2 pints tomatoes
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • basil

Directions:

1. Boil 2 quarts of water in a medium pot. Score the bottom of the tomatoes with an "X". Blanche the tomatoes in the water for 20-30 seconds. It is easier to do 2 or 3 tomatoes at a time, so do not try to get them all in the pot at once. Allow to cool, and peel the skin. Chop the tomatoes into large chunks.

2. Add 1 Tbl olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium. Saute onions and garlic until soft, 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add basil and serve.

Disclaimer: The tomatoes cook down A LOT. When I made this, there was barely enough sauce for two bowls of spaghetti. I only used 1 pint of tomatoes...and it did not make very much sauce, even though it was delicious. The more tomatoes the better...and you can always increase the onion and garlic, to your own taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment