Friday, August 2, 2013

The Adventures of Finocchio

Have you ever studied a foreign language? In college, I studied Italian, and even though I haven't used it in almost seven years, there are still some words that just stick in my mind. Finocchio, which is Italian for fennel, is one of those words! So is "bicicletta" (bicycle) and the phrase "che cose hai fatto ieri sera" (what did you do last night?). 

It was hard to think of things to do with fennel - 3 bulbs were included in our share of the CSA, and fennel is not really a main ingredient. Fennel, in case you were wondering, has a very faint licorice taste. Both the fronds and the bulb are edible, so both parts are featured in these dishes. Here's what we made - 3 different meals!

Meal 1: Fennel Risotto



Have I mentioned before I studied abroad in Italy? Well, risotto was one of my favorite things to eat when I was abroad, and it continues to be one of my favorite meals to make...in the winter. Risotto is very thick and comforting, so it's probably not the best meal for a hot and humid summer day, but oh well! This fennel risotto tasted very fresh - definitely something I would make again if I am given fennel.
Meal 2: Salmon with Fennel



Not only did this salmon require the use of an ingredient with which I was unfamiliar (fennel), it also used a cooking technique I had never used before - cooking in parchment paper. As you can see, we were all of out parchment paper, so aluminum foil was substituted. This salmon was easy to make, and clean up was even easier. Served with a side of rice...YUM. Here's the recipe I used, straight from one of my favorite blogs, Simply Recipes: Salmon with Fennel.

Meal 3: Arancini



Another Italian word that sticks in my brain! Arancini means little oranges, but it is also the name for these fried risotto balls. These little fried risotto balls are another of my favorite foods from Italy, and whenever I see them on a menu, which is rarely, I always order them.  This preparation is also a great way to use up extra risotto. 

Ingredients:
  • leftover risotto
  • 1 egg, beaten (more, if needed)
  • breadcrumbs
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Roll risotto into small balls, about the size of a golfball. Coat with breadcrumbs. Dip in the beaten egg, then add a second coat of breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Repeat until all risotto is used up.

3. Bake 20-30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately, or freeze.

Arancini not only are a great way to use leftovers, but they are also a really easy appetizer. If they are frozen, just pop them into a preheated oven and cook until warmed through. Some people serve them with tomato sauce, but I think they are great just the way they are :)


No comments:

Post a Comment